Wednesday 3 July 2013

Fashion Hack: Replacing Dust Bag For Handbags!

Woohoooo!!! Finally I can blog again yay! I'm in Jakarta now, and the Internet connection is a real pain in the a**, man. Finally bought a modem so my laptop can have Internet access yay! :) It's far less satisfying than my connection in Singapore, but this is the best I can get in here sob sob. Here's a proof of how lame my connection in Indo is before I have WiFi...

See the pending sign? It takes about 30 seconds before my Whatsapp is delivered -__-
Anyway, I want to share how to replace/substitute dust bag for your handbags and purses. As I mentioned before in my Kate Spade Fox Chapel Charlie review, my bag doesn't come with dust bag. I always think of my bags as investments, so I really do my utmost best in order to maintain those babies. Dust bag, goes without saying, is really the basic staple in maintaining the bags!

My Kate Spade dust bag
I tried to find the basic white felt dust bag with drawstring on Ebay, but it is so overpriced omg. The cheapest one I can find is around US$9, which is really, really, overpriced for such a simple stuff like a dust bag! I mean, after all it's only a rectangular fabric with a drawstring, right? 

I was thinking to DIY mine, but honestly, I'm way too lazy to do that lol xP And some more, if you know what I use as dust bag in the end, you won't even bother to DIY it hahaha!

I did some research on forum like Purse Forum, and actually a lot of women also have trouble in finding dust bag for their purses! Apparently, most handbags from sample sale or outlets don't come with dust bag, or sometimes, the women wore off their dust bags already. The most common suggestion from them to replace the dust bag is to use....

Pillowcases!
So smart, right! Their suggestion mostly is to find pillowcases from cotton material, because it absorbs moisture which is good to maintain the bag. And also, I find it's neater because you can zip it up, which I personally think is nicer compared to the slouchy shape of drawstring bag. 

Another suggestion from them is to go to the handbag store and ask the sales assistant for extra dust bag. I did tried to go to Kate Spade and asked, however the SA said they don't have extra dust bag, as each bag only come with one dust bag :(

Thus, I went to Daiso to find affordable pillowcase (Everything is $2 in Daiso!), however, bad news: all of their pillowcases are not big enough to fit my bag :( 

So I just walked around Daiso to find other alternatives, and almost bought a felt tablecloth to be sewn into dust bag lol xP But, I passed this aisle where they store suit covers, and realize it's perfect to become dust bag substitute!

Fits perfectly!
It's also made from felt material and have the zipper as well. So happy! Feel so smart when I found that hahaha xD

After being zipped up
And not to mention, I love the pink gingham pattern! It also comes in green color :) So much nicer than the basic white dust bag on Ebay.

Additionally, beside the dust bag, another essential thing to maintain your handbags it to put silica gel. I found this silica gel at Daiso as well. I usually put silica gel inside the dust bag and the bag itself to absorb moisture, therefore protecting the bags from mould and fungi.

The silica gel
There are two pieces like this inside one package
I cut up the small squares and put them inside the handbags and dust bags
The packaging say if the gel turns from blue to pink, you can let it absorb sun light until it turns back again to blue, and you can re-use it again. The life span of the gel after you open it is around 1 year.

So, to conclude this post, you can use pillowcases to store small to medium handbags, and suit cover for the bigger one! Try go to Daiso to find affordable choice hehe :) Seriously, I'm a hardcore fan of Daiso, they sell so many nice and useful stuff xP I feel like aunties sometimes because I go to Daiso so often hahaha!

Okie then, I hope you find this post useful :)

Until next post, see you!

Love,

The Crazy Bag Lady a.k.a Chikka

p.s. Please visit my previous post about Ampang the Dulcetkittehs to fulfill your daily dose of kitteh cuteness x)

No comments:

Post a Comment